Tuesday 16 September 2008

my mum's old records.

My mumsie was cleaning out the loft the other day and she finally came across her old records from her days spent down Greek Street in the late 70s, hanging out with Smoothies and listening to disco. At the time, underground clubs used to spin a load of obscure disco, funk, electropop, and reggae and ska tunes from all over the world. I've found some absolute fucking gems.

Yellow Magic Orchestra is a Japanese electropop band formed in the late 70s. Along with Kraftwerk, they've been said to be pioneers of early synthpop/technopop and electropop. I found this vinyl lurking in the back of the record case. This record is just so fucking cool. I put it on and heard these weird electronic outta-friggin'-space sounds and I couldn't believe this record was like 1980/81. Then this sick funky low beat kicked in with these Japanese-sounding melodies sprinkled over this hot-shit super cool low beat and all these electronic beeps and I was mesmerised. IT'S SO FUCKING AMAZING.

Yellow Magic Orchestra - Computer Game (Theme From Space Invaders)

(Pee-Ess. SORRY. But I've had to use zshare, ugh. I'll put it onto box.net a-sap, but i'm using a funny old computer at the momento.)

Next up, following the synth/tech/electropop stuff is a slice of those good old techno zealots Kraftwerk. A-side is Computer Love (recently covered by new electropop/death disco renaissance virtuosos Glass Candy, included in an earlier post of mine). (Factoid of the day: Coldplay used a sample of it in their really gash song 'Talk' from X&Y. Listen to it. It's there. Right at the beginning too. I can't believe Kraftwerk okayed it.)


B-side: she's a model and she's looking good, I'd like to take her home that's understood, hum-- hum hum hum-hum hum hum-- hum-hum

Kraftwerk - The Model


Cocomotion is a shit-hot disco tune, filled with SICK-AS disco beats. It's like a proper old-school back-in-the-day track because it's like 10 mins long. Oh, fuck it, just listen to it:

El Coco - Cocomotion

(Tom hates disco but ignore him because he smells.)

In Other News...Swedish Gangsters Use Dwarf Theives

No comments: